FESTIVAL LESSONS

4:34 AM toujoursAnja 2 Comments


If there's one thing I love about summer sixteen it's the festivals. This year I managed to visit all of them (by 'all' I mean those who fit in our student budgets) and it was ah-mazing. Complètement magique.
I won't talk about the whole experience since there's nothing new to say, so I'd like to focus on what I learned during a month full of festivals, travelling, packing and unpacking, dancing, living.

1. It's all about the journey, not the destination. 
Actually, it is all about the destination and the people you choose to spend your time with. It's probably the most important thing.

2. Your criteria for choosing the right accomodation changes drastically . 
And it kinda goes from 'We have such a cool furniture in our apartment!' to 'We're lucky enough to have tap water in here'. From posh to hobo in a week, my friends.

3. You gain specific surviving skills.
Learning to spend a whole day without food, having three-hour-beauty sleeps that actually work, being able to spot your friends in a crowd among thousands of people, finding the best shortcuts, developing a unique sign language with your friends ('Put your left hand in the air when you see me'), having personalized orientation marks ('We're at the four trees'), ninja walking through the crowd etc.

4. It's easier if you're fit.
Dancing 7+ hours, walking several kilometres a day, climbing the stairs (there are always some stairs), the inevitable acclivities... Quite a challenge if you're not used to any kind of physical exhaustion.

5. Festival fashion or how all girls look the same.
Okay, fashion is for the boys as it is for the girls, but GOD how girls easily blend into the crowd. Princess Leia hair or braids, chokers, high-waisted shorts, cropped tops, backpacks, perfect make ups and contouring, fringes - it's just too much effort, visible effort to be exact. And it all looks the same.
In my opinion, simplicity's always the key. And don't forget your sunglasses.

In the end we all end up dirty, sweaty, dusty, muddy, happy.  

6. Never wear white shorts if you're not ready to exit the festival wearing brown shorts.
Don't ask me how I know.

7. You miss out on songs you love the most waiting in the freaking line for the toilet.
Don't ask me how I know either.

8. You hug a lot of people. That's beautiful.

9. Don't be afraid to take as many photos as you can even though you look like a complete mess. 
Be afraid when you see somebody tagged you.

10. The ugly truth. 
In order to breathe again at the end of the day, you have to pick your nose. And we all know how serious picking I'm talking about.



2 comments: